About Right to Information Act 2005
Bringing Information to the Citizens
Right to Information Act 2005 mandates timely response to citizen requests
for government information. It is an initiative taken by Department of
Personnel and Training, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and
Pensions to provide a - RTI Portal Gateway to the citizens for quick search
of information on the details of first Appellate Authorities,PIOs etc.
amongst others, besides access to RTI related information / disclosures
published on the web by various Public Authorities under the government
of India as well as the State Governments
Objective of the Right to Information Act
The basic objective of the Right to Information Act is to empower the
citizens,promote transparency and accountability in the working of the
Government,contain corruption, and make our democracy work for the
people in real sense. It goes without saying that an informed citizen is better
equipped to keep necessary vigil on the instruments of governance and
make the government more accountable to the governed.The Act is a big
step towards making the citizens informed about the activities of the
GUIDELINES FOR USE OF RTI ONLINE PORTAL
- This Web Portal can be used by Indian citizens to file RTI application
online and also to make payment for RTI application online. First appeal
can also be filed online.
- An applicant who desires to obtain any information under the RTI Act
can make a request through this Web Portal to the
Ministries/Departments of Government of India.
- On clicking at "Submit Request", the applicant has to fill the required
details on the page that will appear. The fields marked * are mandatory while the others are optional.
- The text of the application may be written at the prescribed column.
- At present, the text of an application that can be uploaded at the
prescribed column is confined to 3000 characters only.
- In case an application contains more than 3000 characters, it can be
uploaded as an attachment, by using column 'Supporting document'.
- After filling the first page, the applicant has to click on "Make Payment"
to make payment of the prescribed fee.
- The applicant can pay the prescribed fee through the following modes:
(a) Internet banking through SBI and its associated banks;
(b) Using credit/debit card of Master/Visa;
(c) Using RuPay Card.
- Fee for making an application is as prescribed in the RTI Rules, 2012.
- After making payment, an application can be submitted.
- No RTI fee is required to be paid by any citizen who is below poverty
line as per RTI Rules, 2012. However, the applicant must attach a copy
of the certificate issued by the appropriate government in this regard,
alongwith the application.
- On submission of an application, a unique registration number would be
issued, which may be referred by the applicant for any references in
- The application filed through this Web Portal would reach electronically
to the "Nodal Officer" of concerned Ministry/Department, who would
transmit the RTI application electronically to the concerned CPIO.
- In case additional fee is required representing the cost for providing
information, the CPIO would intimate the applicant through this portal.
This intimation can be seen by the applicant through Status Report or
through his/her e-mail alert.
- For making an appeal to the first Appellate Authority, the applicant has
to click at "Submit First Appeal" and fill up the page that will appear.
- The registration number of original application has to be used for
- As per RTI Act, no fee has to be paid for first appeal.
- The applicant/the appellant should submit his/her mobile number to
receive SMS alert.
- Status of the RTI application/first appeal filed online can be seen by the
applicant/appellant by clicking at "View Status".
- All the requirements for filing an RTI application and first appeal as well
as other provisions regarding time limit, exemptions etc., as provided in
the RTI Act, 2005 will continue to apply.